Preakness Stakes 2018 Saturday May 19, 2018
We just got done with the 2018 Kentucky Derby, but that hasn’t stopped the excitement because the 143rd Preakness Stakes is just a day away. This is the second leg of the Triple Crown and also, the shortest. The race is being held at the Pimlico with 8 thoroughbreds participating.
Let’s look at some of the horses that will be taking part.
Past Wins: Kentucky Derby-G1, Santa Anita Derby-G1, AlWOC, and MSW
- Jockey: Mike Smith; Hall of Fame - 2003; Eclipse Award Outstanding Jockey - 1994; Eclipse Award Outstanding Jockey – 1993.
- Trainer: Bob Baffert; Trained Grade 1 Winners American Pharaoh, Bayern, Silver Charm, War Emblem, Silverbulletday, and Indian Blessing.
2. Good Magic
Past Wins: Blue Grass Stakes-G2 and Breeders Cup Juvenile-G1
- Jockey: Jose Ortiz; Eclipse Award Outstanding Jockey - 2017; 1st Belmont S. presented by NYRABets - 2017; 1st Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Juvenile - 2017; 1st Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf – 2016
- Trainer: Chad Brown; Trained Grade 1 Winners Lady Eli, Stephanie's Kitten, Beach Patrol, and Dayatthespa
Past Wins: Tampa Bay Derby-G2, Allow, and MSW
- Jockey: Florent Geroux; 1st Breeders' Cup Classic – 2017; 1st TwinSpires Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint - 2015 Saturday; 1st Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf – 2015; 1st Xpressbet Breeders' Cup Sprint – 2014; 2nd Las Vegas Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile – 2016
- Trainer: Rodolphe Brisset; Trained Quip, a Grade 2 Winner; Other Winning Horses Include Aristides.
4. Diamond King
Past Wins: Federico Tesio, Heft Jockey:
- Jockey: Javier Castellano; Recipient of the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Jockey in 2016; 1st Preakness Stakes - 2017; 1st Breeder’s Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf - 2017, as well as 2016.
- Trainer: John C. Servis; Trained Smarty Jones, a Kentucky Derby winner.
The odds are in favor of Justify with 1-2, Post 7, followed by Good Magic with 3-1 and in Post #5. The odds are against Quip at 12-1 who is in Post 1 and Diamond King is at 30-1 out of Post # 4.